REBUILDERS!

...you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings....
Isaiah 58:12

Mar 21, 2008

20501005 - Entry 2

Paul Kim ( 20501005 ) - Entry 2


original article

Have you heard of the hot dog professor?
When I saw the article about Hot Dog University in Milwaukee, I thought “oh what kind of stupid article is it?” Same as you guys, I’ve never heard about that kind of silly university. However, this is true.


Although, it might look a little bit stupid, we can learn many things from this article as students studying marketing management.

The founder of Hot Dog university is a man named Mark Reitman. He thinks himself PhD and professor of hot dogs.
His lecture would be summarized in several points. He focuses on some basic facts in marketing that we tend to neglect. These are his points.

1. Find a prime location

2. Keep your menu simple

3. Find ways to advertise for free

4. Put on a good show

5. Appeal to the senses

6. Pay attention to industry trends

It looks simple yet it is very important. We need to make these facts balanced.
I think this article is especially meaningful to us who have never tried our own businesses. We learn knowledge not only from our books but also from our experience. Since, my dream is to be a successful owner of an Italian restaurant, I am very interested in these points. Even though I have learned about 4Ps, STP and so on from my book, I have no experience in real marketing and business field. If we look at the assignments that Prof. Lee gave us, we can know what he is trying to tell us. He might think that the most important to know about marketing is to experience that!! From our real experience, we can learn many things that can’t be obtained from reading major books. I guess that is why Prof. Lee gave us lots of real making assignment.


No comments: